Sunday, October 10, 2010

Reflection 5




This week in class we talked about Persogeneics. We had to take a test to see what we were like as a person and the way we learn. After taking the test I learned that i am Expressive/ Amiable.

I thought the whole idea was interesting how it could tell us what we are by a few questions. Here is what it means by Expressive.....


The Expressive
Expressive Patterns naturally exhibit high-assertive and high-responsive behaviors. This means they communicate assertively, and are more open in their gestures and expressions than the other patterns. Expressives are very people-oriented. They desire a clear and open show of understanding by both sides in communication, and they use persuasion and exaggerated body movements to promote that understanding.
Expressives are recognized as being energetic, emotional, opinionated, sometimes loud, and always ready to take risks and volunteer. They are also playful and fun-loving, tend to dislike routine, and may at times appear to be unfocused in their work.

I can see why this is my primary pattern and I see myself in a lot of what is says and how I act. Knowing that I am primarily an expressive person I will know how I teach and how it could have an impact on my students.

My secondary style is Amiable. Amiable is defined as having or showing pleasant, good-natured personal qualities. In the break down of my results it also describes amiable as..
The Amiable
Amiable Patterns are naturally low-assertive and high-responsive in their behaviors. This means that they are not forceful in their communication, but they do outwardly show concern and understanding for others. Amiables are people-oriented and team-oriented. They are concerned with the happiness and satisfaction of all.
Amiables are peacemakers by nature. They are diplomatic, cooperative, patient, and strive to avoid conflict if at all possible. Amiables are slower paced when they move and in the gestures that they make and are softer-spoken and more moderately paced in their speech than most of the other patterns. Amiables are tentative and cautious in decision making, less apt to take risks than most of the other styles, and may at times appear non-committal and conforming.
In this it says that I am ambious and want to succeed in all I do but that I am also aware of the needs of those around me and that I will go out of my way to make sure those needs are met. I find it interesting that my primary and secondary patterns are somewhat opposite but I blend the two. I find it interesting how this could affect my teaching and that to some students I might come off too strong and that I will expect too much out of everyone and that I need to understand that everyone has individual needs and that everyone is at their own level. I found it to be appropriate that it says that I am comfortable telling people what I think because of my high assertiveness but that may not always be the way to be the best teacher. 

From doing this test and talking about the results I have learned that everyone has their own pattern or style of who they are and what is more effective for them and how they might learn on an individual basis. As a teacher it is up to me to learn the different patterns and learn the ways to teach to each different style of person.

No comments:

Post a Comment