Thursday, September 23, 2010

Teach something 2

This week for teaching we were asked to teach for 12 minutes about something with technology. I figured that since I work for BYU Broadcasting I work everyday with video editing and tv replays so i felt like it was something i could teach effectively. But i was really nervous about doing it for 12 minutes because I felt like I didnt have enough information to cover and that I would just have to make things up.

My teaching plan!


This is an EVS. Its a tapeless recording device that makes in easy to do replays!




I talked about the different types of replays and how things will happen during a game and the role of an evs operator compared to that of a producer or director. I then showed video clips and explained to my group what to look for and see at which point the operator wil slow the play down and everything. I also had an activity planned for my group to use Imovie to get a feel of editing and telling a story of a whole game in only about 40 seconds. I didn't have enough time for them to do the activity though.

Always room for improvement....

So I felt that my teaching went well and I didn't feel like I had to stretch anything to make my information last the whole time. Although now i know that I need to budget my time more and to practice how long each thing takes including the videos i showed. If i would have split up my time into better parts I would have had time for the activity which would have helped my students understand more of what I was trying to get across about editing and highlight reels. 

I also need to learn to get away from presenting my information and teaching it. In all the time leading up to this class i have been trained to give presentations and that is just an instinct that I have right now and I need to overcome that presentation mode and step out and get those who I am teaching more involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment