Monday, November 8, 2010

Reflection 9

This Week......


So we have been assigned to read the last text book for this class. This book have been hard for me to read for the last week. At first it was hard for me to keep all the researches straight and who did what and who found what. But as I kept reading I really liked how the book emphasized how important the teachers are and not just the school. But the teachers can make a difference.

Another thing that stuck out to me was other factors outside the school and the teacher that can affect the students before they even step into the classroom. Such as family life, social economic status and living environment. As I think about my own childhood, I feel very grateful for the family that I was raised in. For 7 years of my young life I was raised in a single parent home where my mom worked two jobs. But I never felt like we were disadvantaged. I am one of the lucky ones who had a parent who encouraged us to do our best even though her situation was hard at the time. She wanted us to have a better life and pushed us to do so. But I know that many kids who could be in my situation or other ones that could be worse don't have that support from their parents or aren't encouraged to do their best.

As a teacher, I will have to recognize that I need to be able to teach and encourage every student no matter what background they may come from. And understand that everyone is different and so their situation. I learn each week that teaching is so much more than just standing up in front of a class and relaying information. It is helping these kids become better and to help them reach their potential, even those who are disadvantaged and don't have support from home.



No comments:

Post a Comment